The Abe's Garden model is a community designed specifically for individuals with Alzheimer's disease and related dementias that allows residents to age in a familiar environment. The result is innovative households that are conducive to family visits and merges beautifully with numerous themed gardens where residents can safely enjoy the outdoors. Leaders in a variety of fields were consulted to create the ideal setting with numerous evidence-based supported design and safety features.
The most current research regarding natural and artificial lighting, security, appropriate furnishings, wayfinding and technological resources for individuals with Alzheimer's is incorporated in the architectural, interior and landscape design:
- There are three households, which all include a common area containing support areas, including a laundry, pantry, nurse station and guest room.
- A household kitchen is adjacent to the dining and living areas to create a center of activity
- Each resident suite is located in close proximity to the household kitchen and common area
- The suites are approximately 300 square feet and include a bathroom, and furniture with numerous supportive design and safety features.
- Evidence-based lighting and an abundance of natural light fill the households and residential suites, which will help support residents’ circadian rhythm functions.
- Front doors of each household open to a large central enclosed courtyard, providing residents safe access to the outdoors
In order to serve as a model in all aspects of organizational function and design, Abe’s Garden has implemented energy efficient, sustainable building strategies in all facets of development and program implementation. LEED-accredited architects and consultants have been hired to oversee the design and pursue LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification. Green features include:
- Geothermal heating
- Natural light and day lighting
- Use of regional materials
- Use of products containing recycled products
- Use of native plants and vegetation
- Permeable pavement
- Recycling of construction materials
- Use of low or non-emitting products
- ENERGY STAR appliances
- Energy usage reductions
- Operable windows
- All site lighting will achieve International Dark Sky Association standards for dark sky friendly features
- Sound land use practices through its location on excess acreage surrounding an existing non-profit, senior lifestyle community.
Furnished Living™ provides exclusive furniture that addresses the needs of individuals living with Alzheimer’s or other dementias. Each suite at Abe’s Garden features furniture from Furnished Living™, which includes an Independence Bed, Motion Chair, Engagement Center, Cueing Wardrobe, Illuminating Night Table, Supply Cabinet with Reminiscence Panel and a matching Guest Chair and Side Table.