By Brenda Nagey, Abe’s Garden and Park Manor Director of Life Engagement, Abe’s Garden and Park Manor
How can I bring arts back into my loved one’s life who used to paint but now has vision problems?
- Talk about art.
- Reminisce about popular, well-liked artist works. Ask why they like each piece and what it makes them feel or think.
- Find out favorite pieces of art and read them the biography of each artist.
- Use their senses
- Sculpt 3D projects where sensing with hands is essential.
- Paint purposeful items in one color, like a ceramic unfinished coffee cup from a pottery place. Whirligigs and wood projects typically have several pieces that need to be painted one color each.
- Play classical music and allow them to paint on an easel as the music moves them.
- Decoupage a piñata.
- Make string jewelry together.
- Press flowers and laminate to use as bookmarks.
- Make bath salts.
These art projects will need instruction and observation, but will be great engagement activities.