Fulfillment Defined. Become a Volunteer.
At Abe’s Garden Community, our goal is to meet the social, recreational, spiritual and intellectual needs of our residents. To help us, we rely on a team of dedicated volunteers. As a volunteer, you can bring support and joy in a variety of ways. Your time and energy mean a great deal to seniors.
Engage with Our Residents
As a volunteer, there are many opportunities to engage with Abe’s Garden Community residents, Abe’s Garden Club memory support day program participants, and Abe’s Garden Community Group for early-stage memory support. The following are examples of day, evening and weekend volunteer opportunities offered and supported by staff members:
- Assist with outings (e.g., scenic drives, special events)
- Help residents with hair, makeup and manicures
- Make flower arrangements
- Lead art, dance, music or exercise classes
- Prepare greeting cards for family members
- Dine and socialize with residents
- Provide sensory stimulation and hand massages
- Assist with program/event setup
- Arrange a reading group/book club
- Hold Bible study
- Assist or lead craft projects
- Sing or play an instrument
- Schedule and coordinate event entertainment
- Coordinate visits and performances with student and youth groups
- Assist with gardening (e.g., plant and garden care, assist residents and horticultural therapist, assist master gardener with farm-to-table garden)
- Help out at our cooking club (e.g., prepare snacks and serve food and beverages, help with weekly cookouts, coordinate cooking classes, make and bring refreshments for celebrations)
Make a Difference
No experience is needed to be a volunteer, but we do require volunteers to complete an application, interview, and attend orientation and training. We look for those who are patient, have a big heart, and have the desire to enrich the lives of older adults in our care. Your efforts will be rewarded tenfold by a feeling of unparalleled satisfaction that you have brightened someone’s day.
Volunteer opportunities are offered seven days per week: morning, afternoon and evening. We understand everyone has varying availability, so we are willing to be flexible with scheduling. Are you interested in coming in to meet our residents and see how you can make a difference? We would love to hear from you.